telephone的简写形式为phone,通常用作及物动词,作名词时,也可指“电话机”。“一次通话”必须说a telephone call。如:
Mr Wang is on the telephone /phone now.王先生正在打电话。
Mr Read wants to buy another telephone /phone.里德先生要再买一部电话机。
There was a telephone /phone call for you.刚才有你的一个电话。
phone可用于phone a message to sb.或phone sb.a message(打电话通知某人一件事)这一结构,而ring和call不可以这样用。如:
I phoned her the message yesterday.昨天我打电话把这件事告诉了她。
这四个词都有可作名词,表示“打电话”。如:
I told him about it by telephone.(=I told him on /over the tele- phone.)我在电话里把这件事告诉了他。(不用call或ring)
I'll give you a ring /a(telephone)call tomorrow.我明天给你打电话。
ring /call up后接代词宾格时,代词应放在up之前。动词ring还可表示“铃声响”、“使……响”。如:
I'm sorry I was out when you rang /called me up.对不起,你打电话时我不在。
The bell is ringing.铃响了。
I rang the bell and the door opened.我按了门铃,门就开了。
这四个词都可用作动词,表示“打电 话给某人”。所以“昨晚我给我姐姐打了电 话。”可译成:
I telephoned /phoned /called /rang my sister last night.
=I gave my sister a ring /a(telephone)call last night.
=I rang /called up my sister last night.
=I made a telephone call to my sister last night.