I.Purposes
在日常生活和工作中,我们常常会听到诸如此类的对话:
—Many young people today stilluse their parents'money after they've got jobs.What do you think of the phenomenon(现象)?
—If you ask me,I think that this is shameful.
—Maybe,but don't you think thatfamily members should help each other?
—That's not exactly what I mean .Of course ,they could help each other in case of emergency(紧急情况).Butin this case they should manage to return the money if they could.
两人对工作后的年轻人应不应该还用父母的钱,阐明了各自不同的看法。“同意”或“不同意”是我们每天都必须面对的两种选择。例如,当你的父亲提议你“利用假期好好补一补英语”时,你要么同意(All right./That's a good idea.),要么反对(I don't think so.)。又如,当某个同学提议选林莉当班长并征求意见时,你们的选择通常也有两种,同意者会说“I aGREe with you.She's always ready to help others.”或者“I agree to the suggestion.”,而不同意者可能会说“She's good at lessons,but I don't think she's any ability ofmanaging the class.”
我们生活在一个高度发达和自由的社会里,每个人都有权利对某件事充分发表自己的意见和观点,对自己认为好的正确的事情说“yes”,对自己不满意或反对的事情说“no”。大千世界,林林总总,人们对事物的看法不尽相同,甚至千差万别,但又相互包容,形成一个统一的整体。这就是对立统一关系,这就是矛盾。
II.Summary of Useful Expressions
(A)同意(aGREement)
You're(quite)right.你是(完全)对的。
It certainly is.完全是这样。
That's exactly what I think.那正是我的想法。
That's justhowIsee it.那正是我的看法。
That's exactly my opinion,too.那也正是我的观点。
I quite aGREe with you.我完全赞同你的说法/观点。
There's no doubt about it.毫无疑问是这样。
Thatsounds very sensible to me.我觉得那很合理。
I'm in favour ofyour proposal.我赞成你的建议。
So do I.我也这样认为。
So it is.的确是这样。
(B)不同意(disaGREement)
Maybe,but don't you think that we should also do something for it?也许是这样,但是你不认为我们也该为此做点儿什么吗?
Well,it depends.嗯,这很难说。
I really can't aGREe.我真的很难接受。
Do you really feel that's reasonable?你真的以为那样合理吗?
I wouldn't go along with you there.在那一点上我不能同意你(的观点,看法等)。
I'm afraid I'm not entirely with you here.恐怕这一点我不能完全赞同你。
No,I don't think so.不,我不认为是这样。
You must be joking.你是在开玩笑吧。
Personally,I don't care much for that saying.就我个人而言,我不大喜欢那种说法。
I'm afraid you are wrong there.恐怕你在那点上的看法是错的。
It's quite wrong.这很不对。
Sorry,I don't aGREe with you.对不起,我不赞同你的说法。
III.Background Information
为了更容易被接受,对别人的意见或观点表示同意或不同意时,英、美人士常用否定疑问句的方式提出自己的看法。例如“Don't you think that...?”“Wouldn't you like to...?”等。这是表达意见的一种策略,它假想听话者也持有相同观点,比直接向对方陈述更有效。