JOANA: Yes. How did they like it? 记得, 他们的反应如何?
PAUL Very much. In fact, we''re starting the project immediately. And guess who''s in charge? 非常好, 事实上 我们立刻就要展开活动. 而且, 你猜谁来负责?
JOANA: I don''t know. I give up. 我不晓得, 我不猜.
PAUL You give up too easily. Your brother! Who else? 你太容易放弃了. 是你大哥! 还会是谁?
JOANA: Congratulations, Paulo! Now maybe you can take a few days off. 恭喜你了, 保罗! 现在, 你或许可以休息几天了.
JOANA: You work harder than anyone else in that office. 那个办公室里, 没有一个人像你这么努力工作.
PAUL Joana, 琼娜,
PAUL you don''t take time off when you want a promotion. 一个人如果想进升的话, 就不能请假.
JOANA: You even eat more quickly than you used to. 你连吃饭都比以前吃得快.
PAUL Hey, I didn''t ask for a lecture! 嘿! 我没要你来教训我.
JOANA: I''m sorry, Paulo. I think it''s wonderful. Now tell me about the competition. What are the rules? Can Michael enter? 对不起, 保罗, 我想那是很美妙的, 告诉我一些关于这个比赛的事, 有些什么规则? 麦可可不可以参加?
PAUL Michael Crawford? 麦可?郭佛?
JOANA: Sure. 是啊,
JOANA: He paints better than anyone I know. 他的画比我所认识的人画得都要好.
JOANA: When does the competition start? 比赛什么时候开始?
PAUL We won''t announce the contest until Mr. Crawford finishes the brochure. 我们等郭佛先生完成册子, 再公布比赛.
JOANA: Oh, is he doing the brochure for you? 哦, 他帮你编小册子吗?
PAUL Yes. 是的.
JOANA: What does his office look like? 他的办公室是什么样子?
PAUL It''s large enough, and modern and businesslike. And very formal--too formal, perhaps. Why do you ask? 地方很大, 很摩登很有条理, 而且十分正式--太正式了. 也许 你问这些干什么?
JOANA: Just curious. I''m trying to imagine Michael in that office. 只是好奇而已, 我试着想像, 麦可坐在那个办公室里.
PAUL What do you mean? 我不懂.
JOANA: Michael gave himself a deadline. Either he does well this year, or he gives up art and goes into business with his father. 麦可为自己定下了一个期限. 他今年要是不成功的话, 就放弃艺术, 和他爸爸从事经商.
PAUL How well is "well"? 要怎么样才算 "成功" 了呢?
PAUL How is he going to measure success? 他如何去衡量成败?
PAUL Does he have to paint as well as the masters? 他是必需要画得和名画家一样好吗?
JOANA: I don''t really know. But he has to prove something to himself. 我并不清楚, 反正, 他要向自己证明一件事.
PAUL Then this competition could be his big chance. 那么这个比赛可能是他的一个大好机会.
JOANA: Yes, it could. 是的, 将会是个大好机会.