你觉得你女朋友怎么样?
B: Everythings all center except for her temper. When shelosesher temper, theres nothing you can doaboutit.什么都好,就是脾气不太好。当她发脾气时,你简直拿她没办法。
经典实用句之二a pushover for flattery
2. That guy is a pushover for flattery. If you want him tohelpyou, all you have to do is polish an .
那家伙很喜欢受人奉承。如果你想要他帮你,只要拍拍他马屁就行了。
难点解析:
a pushover 容易对付的人。直译为“稍微一推就倒下的人”,比喻为容易欺骗、对付的人。
[尝试翻译一下]
<1> Hes not a pushover. You’ll need real proof toconvincehim.
<2> Dicks a real pushover for blonds.
答案:
<1> 他可不是个好对付的人。你要说服他要有真凭实据。
<2> 迪克一见到金发美女就魂不守舍了。
经典实用句之三on ones last legs
A: Oh, my God, Im on my last legs!
天哪!我快要崩溃了!
B: Take it easy. Worry wont help. Youll go nuts if youkeepworrying this way.
放轻松一点,担心是没有用的。你再这样下去会发疯的。
难点解析:
on ones last legs
此处last指“腿已经不能再动”,亦即“腿的机能已达到最后限度”,引申为精疲力竭、垮台、崩溃等意。
经典实用句之四-hear through the grapevine
A: Cypher is getting married, do you know that?
Cypher就要结婚了,你知道吗?
B: That cant be. You must have heard it throughthegrapevine.
不可能,你一定是道听途说。
A: No, I got it straight from the horses mouth.
没有,我是从他本人那边得知的。
难点解析:
hear sth. through thegrapevine,考虑一下葡萄藤弯弯曲曲向四面八方伸展的情况,就会了解把他比作道听途说是如何贴切了。
get it straight from the horses mouth, 这里it指thehorsesage.要知道马的年龄,只要看它的牙就没有错。引申为从本人或可靠来源处得知。